LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Monday, July 06, 2009

Arts Moments Yesterday

Hope you had a great July 4th celebration.

Yesterday was a full day for me. There were three points where the arts particularly touched me:

1. During the worship service at church, our back-up worship singer sang Watermark's "Captivate Us." It's a gorgeous, intimate song, and she sang it beautifully.

2. My family and I watched The Incredibles. The amount of Christian worldview and symbolism in that movie took me by surprise. We loved it.

3. I finished the book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a novel about the German Occupation of one of the Channel Islands during World War II. The story was told entirely by letters--the kind that show up in a mailbox. I thoroughly enjoyed that book.

What arts moments have you enjoyed lately? Leave a comment and let me know.

2 comments:

Joseph said...

Recent Arts Moments:

I read a wonderful book called Refractions by Makoto Fujimura, a painter and Christian that put art in the context of faith.

My wife and I went to see a film over the weekend and then spent our time at lunch together discussing it. I appreciated the film, and my wife so much more as a result of our discussion.

My oldest son did a painting depicting Saul holding the frayed end of Samuel's garment after being told the kingdom would be ripped from his hands. The painting was so powerful the image is still in my mind.

LeAnne Benfield Martin said...

Joe,

I've got Refractions but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'll have to move it to the top of the stack.

We love to discuss films and books. That's one of the reasons I married him. :)

Your son sounds like he's quite an artist. Good for him!

Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer! (And thanks for your comment.)

LeAnne

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org